25 Things About Maverick You Don't Know
1. I have duel careers. One as a Biblical Archaeologist; the other as a flight medic. It has been helpful a few times on my adventures.
2. I served in my local community as a reserve Firefighter/Paramedic. I served for 12 years while also serving as the EMS Captain for 3 years and dually as the Chaplain for 3 years.
3. As a Firefighter, I once saved a family puppy dog from a burning house on Christmas night.
4. My first public CPR case was at the Rangers baseball game- while Nolan Ryan was pitching!
5. While driving the fire engine, Santa Claus fell off the firetruck during the hometown Christmas parade while rounding a corner!
6. I have taken my son Tannon in the field with me since he was 2 years old.
7. At home, I play guitar and sing. I recorded a music album called, “Amazing God”.
8. I have Dr. Carl Baugh to thank for encouraging me to go beyond what I thought was possible.
9. As a kid, I was terrified of water; now I’m a certified scuba diver.
10. My nickname is “Maverick”.
11. I hosted my own radio show host for Epic Voyagers Radio on the Inception Radio Network- a live broadcast out of Chicago from my home office in Texas.
12. I work on the Navajo Nation Reservation in Arizona- hired by the Zuni’s, but worked with the Navajo’s, Hopi’s, & the Zuni tribes.
13. I enjoy photography and have placed in the top 3 in photo contests for Dublin Dr. Pepper.
14. I have had the same best friend since I was 21 years old- Gary Thomas.
15. My Christian faith is my strength and backbone- I pray every day.
16. I learned not to listen to other voices; to stay on the right path.
17. Mt. Ararat in Eastern Turkey was one of the hardest expeditions I ever adventured on.
18. My favorite book is “Recon Scout” by Fred Salter. I had the honor of writing the very first book review for Barnes & Noble’s. My other favorite book is “Bud & Me” by Alta Abernathy. Most inspirational book, “Mud, Sweat, & Tears” by Bear Grylls.
19. I have authored several books. New book coming on Gobekli Tepe- an ancient site in Turkey.
20. I give credit to my grandparents; who were ol’ rock hounds & taught me to have a passion for the beauty in God’s creation.
21. My other hero is Dr. Michael McDaniel! He is amazing!
22. I have excavated & mapped the longest contiguous dinosaur track way in the Western Hemisphere in 2000.
23. I have personally explored 16 out of the top 40 artifacts &/or archaeological sites in the world. That's 40%! I was also one of the first to participate in excavations at the Pool of Siloam in Jerusalem when it was first discovered in 2004.
24. I have excavated some 15 different dinosaurs, two Wooly Mammoths, & one Tylosaur. I have directed two dinosaur digs- one in Montana & one in Colorado.
25. I'm inspired by the saying "every man dies; not every man really lives..."